Vomiting and fever
- What cause vomiting with fever
- Childhood vomiting with temperature: why are they so dangerous?
- How to treat properly
Vomiting is one of the most serious symptoms, particularly if it happens in babies at the first years of life or elderly and weakened people. This is explained by the high risk of rapid development of dehydration and severe disturbances in microelement balance resulting in serious and potentially life-threatening diseases. That is why when the repeated vomiting appears, it is recommended to consult a doctor in order to choose proper treatment.
Vomiting usually goes in parallel with other symptoms, most often with fever. That can be a sign of a many diseases and associated not only with the digestive tract suffered.
The most likely causes of vomiting with fever include:
- Food poisoning resulted in the food contaminated by pathogens and their toxins. The ill person gets body temperature rising and repeated persistent vomiting, stomachache and diarrhea. Excessive fluid loss with vomit and runny stool develop dehydration symptoms.
- Intestinal infections associated with infection by certain microorganisms (rotavirus, escherichia, shigella, yersinia, enterovirus, etc.). All of them usually start with fever, vomiting, nausea and general weakness, and end in cramping and drawing pains in the abdomen with diarrhea. Intestinal infections, like poisoning, can result in a very dangerous level of dehydration.
- Acute non-infectious diseases of the digestive system: pancreatitis, cholecystitis. Inflammation of the gallbladder and pancreas walls is accompanied by a moderate increase in temperature, vomiting, nausea, upper stomachache and in the hypochondrium, flatulence, stool disorders. Most often, these symptoms appear due to overeating, taking heavy food and alcohol. The same items appear with exacerbation of existing chronic cholecystitis or pancreatitis.
- HFRS (hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome, also called murine fever). It is an infectious disease during which kidney is damaged by developing acute renal failure. In acute stage, body temperature goes up, urine practically stops excreting, the body starts rapid accumulating nitrogenous metabolic products with obvious intoxication and vomiting.
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the brain and its membranes (meningitis, encephalitis). The symptoms include severe headache, fever, vomiting due to increased intracranial pressure, sensitivity disorders, paralysis, oculomotor disorders, and even convulsions may happen.
- Whooping cough. This infectious disease features bouts of spasmodic coughing up to vomiting based on moderately high body temperature. Whooping cough belongs to childhood infections, but it can also develop in adults. The disease lasts long, as well as coughing even after eliminating the pathogen.
There are many reasons for vomiting and temperature appeared, and combined, they mean food poisoning or intestinal infection. But do not forget about other possible developing diseases unrelated to gastrointestinal tract damaged. Only doctor can evaluate the complex of existing symptoms properly and determine the correct therapy, so, repeated vomiting is the key reason to contact a specialist.
The vomiting with temperature combined in the child is a rather serious sign. Why does this combination require particular attention from parents and doctor?
- Vomiting can quickly cause severe dehydration, for a child/baby loses not only fluid, but also drinks very little. If vomiting is accompanied by fever to 38 ° and higher, the risk of dehydration is significantly increased. With fever appearing, the body launches natural cooling mechanisms: increased sweating and quickened breathing. This leads to high evaporation, so the temperature and vomiting combined are highly likely to result in severe dehydration. And the younger the child is, the higher the risk of developing brain diseases is.
- At the first years of life, babies intoxicated, unlike adults, can get vomiting with temperature. This makes diagnosis challenging and can lead to the late adequate treatment. Parents usually consider these symptoms as an intestinal infection revealed and often do not pay immediate attention to other symptoms. But the true cause of vomiting with fever in babies can be hard-flowing pyelonephritis, appendicitis, bronchopneumonia (inflammation of the lung tissue and small bronchi) and other serious diseases. If the baby is not yet able to speak, parents hardly manage to discover the symptoms of their own.
- A 1 year-old baby, when vomiting with temperature, can aspirate (inhale) vomit, for it spends most of the time in a horizontal and semi-recumbent position. This can lead to acute violation of breathing and subsequent developing bronchopneumonia. Therefore, when developing vomiting in a baby, it is necessary to call the doctor as soon as possible.
Vomiting and fever combined is common enough in childhood. If baby gets developing this sort of symptomatology, parents should not rely on self-treatment, but after they provide their baby/child the first aid, they should be consulted the doctor. And the younger the baby is, the sooner it has to be examined by the specialist.
Treating vomiting and temperature should be primarily directed at the causative factor, but only doctor can determine the necessary drugs.
Do not take antiemetic and antipyretic agents at your will, otherwise this can lead to a significant deterioration. The reason is that vomiting and temperature are not harmful symptoms, they are aimed at the rapid elimination of infection and intoxication appeared. With vomiting, the body cleanses the digestive system from microorganisms and toxins, and high temperature develops unfavorable conditions for producing pathogens. Unreasonable suppression of these reactions is fraught with increasing intoxication and risk of complications.
What can be done before calling a doctor? For the first aid, when developing vomiting with temperature, give the ill person adsorbents - for example, Filtrum. It acts only in the lumen of the gastrointestinal tract and does not irritate stomach walls or provoke increasing vomiting. Filtrum ® magnets most of the toxins and pathogens and is excreted with feces. Meanwhile, severe nausea and intoxication go down. Moreover, Filtrum have a beneficial effect not only against poisoning and intestinal infections, but also a number of other diseases features severe intoxication, vomiting and temperature.
Important: Before applying, read the instructions or consult your doctor.
The further treating scheme should be developed by the doctor, based on the analysis of the overall clinical and examination data.